Recently I’ve realized that with food, I’m a bit of a creature of habit. While diversity and variety in your diet is definitely beneficial and highly recommended, I find that it is just easier to stick with something that I can whip up on auto-pilot and I know I love. This is why I find myself having the same green smoothie everyday.
Once in a while I will mix it up with this delicious No Fail Chocolate Kale Smoothie or a slightly different version of my Everyday Green Smoothie, but this green smoothie recipe (skip down to recipe) hits the spot for my cravings AND it offers me 5 servings of veggies and fruit! This is NOT a sweet tasting smoothie! It’s got a slight tang from the lemon and a slight kick from the ginger and you can definitely say it tastes slightly “green”. The banana and apple add a hint of sweetness but if you want a smoothie that is sweet with no “green” taste then this is not the smoothie for you. Try the No Fail Chocolate Kale Smoothie.
Different people have different predilections when it comes to smoothies, so you can tweak some ingredients or the amount of water to make it thicker or thinner. Personally, I love having a really thin smoothie, so it is almost like a juice (but with all the fiber!)
What you need on hand
I am a firm believer in a rockin’ blender. Having the right kitchen tools is LIFE CHANGING! When I owned the Ninja blender, while it’s great for some things, it did not cut it in the smoothie world *pun intended*. I don’t like feeling chunks in my smoothies. Does anyone? #vitamix #gamechangerI don't like feeling chunks in my smoothies. Does anyone? #vitamix #gamechangerClick To Tweet
Now, I haven’t tried the Blendtec blender (if Blendtec wants to send me one to try I would totally be game!) but at roughly $400 a pop, it’s just not in my budget to buy one when I already own their direct competitor, an amazing Vitamix machine. My hubby and I gifted each other this Vitamix blender for our anniversary about 6 years ago (if you buy this product through my affiliate link I will get lots of extra coffee money, but not enough to open a smoothie store). Since then I have had a smoothie almost everyday, especially in the summer. I attribute this healthy habit to the quality of the machine and finding a great smoothie recipe that I like.
Bottom line: You must have a great blender.
What makes this smoothie so great?
It is packed with healthy stuff. Here’s what you get:
- Collagen: (from beef gelatin but you can also get this from chicken or marine sources). Collagen has made me feel young again! Seriously, the effects on my hair, skin, nails and joints makes me consider this the #1 beauty product every woman should know about. Apparently, the collagen you put on your face in all those expensive beauty products doesn’t even get absorbed through the skin! You have to ingest it to reap the benefits. It’s also great for gut health and repair. This is the beef gelatin we use at our house (If you buy this through my affiliate link I get some coffee money, not enough for a new Vitamix 😉 )
- Vitamin C: also great for the skin as well as the immune system. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and aids in collagen formation as well.
- Fiber: when you are drinking 5 servings of whole veggies and fruits you are loading up on fiber which is great for feeding your gut bacteria as well as keeping you regular.
- Spirulina: gram for gram this type of algae is one of the most nutritious foods on the planet with high amounts of highly bioavailable protein, iron, calcium, B-vitamins, antioxidants and more.
- Folate – well sure I’d like to lower my risk for cardiovascular disease! serve it up!
- Ginger: great for digestion and has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Omega 3s from the hemp seeds.
- Raw fruits and vegetables provide your body with active enzymes and vitamins that are often destroyed by heat, so drink to your health!
The Everyday Green Smoothie Recipe
Everyday Green Smoothie
Raw fruits and vegetables provide your body with active enzymes and vitamins that are often destroyed by heat, so drink to your health!
- 2 cups loosely broken kale leaves & stems
- 1 cup frozen spinach or 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 banana fresh or frozen
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled
- 1 medium apple, cored
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1-2 scoops gelatin powder
I like to add the water and all the bulky ingredients to the blender first and blend those up roughly before adding the powders and hemp seeds.
Make sure to blend for at least 30 seconds so the fibers get broken down and you are left with a nice "no chunks and no strings" smoothie!
Most of the time, when I make this recipe I get about 40oz of smoothie. If that freaks you out, then save half of it for the next day. It also freezes well. You can give it a quick re-blend the next day before drinking. Make sure to thaw it well in advance if you froze some...like overnight thawing!
Personally, I love that this recipe makes a lot of smoothie. For me, it’s a way to hydrate and get lots of veggies in for the day. What are you scared of? Drinking 40oz of green drink that will help you feel like a superwoman??
Let’s raise our glasses of green stuff and toast to optimal health. Sip-on Mighty Mommies. You may look forward to your daily green smoothie as much as your coffee!
Post a pic of you sipping your Everyday Green Smoothie or comment below on how it’s changed your life – I know it will. You can also upload a pic to Instagram and tag me in your green smoothie pics! @lunchwithleah